Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Vindication MFers

It feels so phenomenal to know that you really are not out of your mind and what you know you read in a history book way back in grade school was not a figment of your imagination but truth. What am I talking about? I am a history nerd just like my pop and back in grade school in Visitation I came across a history book of the surrounding area and what it was before. I distinctly remember reading that Lehigh Ave use to be a creek and people thought I was making shit up, granted they had a point cause I did make shit up back then BUT STILL, I remember reading and seeing an illustration of the creek and 30 something years later mother fuckers I feel VINDICATED....

Lehigh Avenue in the Kensington section of Philadelphia was indeed once a creek or river. Specifically, it was the path of the old Frankford Creek, which flowed through the area before being culverted (covered over) and converted into a street.

Frankford Creek was a significant waterway in the region, flowing from the northeast into the Delaware River. Over time, as the city grew and developed, the creek was gradually altered and eventually covered over to make way for urban development.

Today, Lehigh Avenue follows the approximate path of the old creek bed, and some remnants of the original watercourse can still be seen in the area. For example, the creek's legacy lives on in the form of nearby Frankford Creek Greenway, a linear park that follows the creek's former path and offers a glimpse into the area's natural history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MaryAnn DiGiacomo Tribute Page

Instagram